When is it TOO MUCH?

Sunday 4 December 2016






You are so overwhelmed when you become a new parent. You want this & that, you want the best for your child always. You want to get awesome presents & give them everything but when is it too much?


I gave birth to my son in 2014. I stayed away from work to raise him. As I was spending time with him, teaching him etc.. Presents became simply nothing but a bunch of materialistic things that have no value. You grow with your child and you realise that even though you want to spend much money on him/her but there are values that are important than gifts that have to be taught & given. The value of money & that happiness doesn't rely on funds. The gift of giving. The feeling of compassion. The importance of respect. The beauty of love. These are the things that a child should be spoilt with. Not toys. This doesn't mean I don't give my son, gifts. Of course I do, but I don't buy him so much things to substitute the lessons I should be giving him or the time I should spend with him.

Each to their own though but giving a child too much can also be harmful. They become less appreciative of what's around them. They expect that they should receive a gift all the time. They won't know that they won't always get what they want in life. They'll expect everything handed to them. I've seen way too many cases of parents doing it out of love but it rebounds and they're left there questioning why their child is like that? It comes to what you taught them from the start. If you can't say or won't say NO, you give in and do whatever they say or want, you're already there. So even though you want to spoil your child? (I mean what parent doesn't, right?) But think of the repercussions of your actions. No one blames a child for being spoiled. They blame the parent. Teach them values more than spending money on them. This isn't a post to target any parent at all - this is just an eye opener. A refresher. Something to keep an open mind about. 


- CJM 







No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS